What Is It? | Hemp
Hemp is truly a wonderful raw superfood for many reasons, let me count the ways!
- supplies more levels of iron than red meat or flax seed
- greatest source of protein in the vegetable kingdom – awesome for vegetarians
- hemp is NEVER genetically modified
- is an ideal balance of omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- can be assistive for people with high cholestrol, blood pressure, blood sugar obesity, constipation, fatigue & depression
- also great for weight loss as it provides long term appetite satisfaction (similar to chia seeds)
Hemp can be purchased in seed, oil or flour form – seeds can be hulled or unhulled.
Smoothies: it’s a great alternative to whey or soy protein powders so dump a tablespoon or more of the seeds, powder or oil into your morning, post or pre workout smoothie. Or try my Iron& Protein packed smoothie here that I lived off for a large part of my pregnancy. The taste is a little gritty but I think quite palatable
Salad toppings: the seeds are quite yummy on their own as well, but throw some into your salad for some extra crunch
Snacks: make up your own trail mix of raw nuts, goji’s, cacao nibs, hemp seeds or why not try my Raw Banana & Spirulina Energy Crackers (with Hemp), Kristen’s Raw’s Cheezy Hemp Nacho Sauce (great as a dip or a sauce when making kale chippies in the dehydrator, or even Fudgey Hemp Balls from The Happy Raw Kitchen
Where to buy:
Heathfood stores, online, in Australia you’ll need to be aware that laws dictate this can only be sold as a food product for your pet, however use it for you
Do you have any requests for ‘What Is It?’Share on Facebook