I Heart NY
Good morning everyone. Or rather Happy Eid, Health & Happiness كل عام وأنتم بخير و صحه و سعاده
It’s Eid time here again, Eid al-Adha to be precise. That means vacation time in the Islamic world, so even for us expats we get the same public holidays as well, which began today until next Tuesday. Whilst most of our expat friends are off on amazing holidays to Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Dublin or even home to Australia, for the first time, we decided to stay home – the compound is a ghost town. Hubs is studying and I want to get our messy house in order without social distractions, plus we have a big Christmas holiday coming up to Europe.
Which brings me to title of this post. Seeing as I am not going anywhere, perhaps I can list for you where I’d like to be, and the place that is first on my bucket list. Plus one of our friends from camp here left for NYC last night. Despite my various trips in the USA to:
And Houston, Boston, Arizona and Oklahoma City, I’ve never once made it to my dream destination of New York City.
I was in the midst of planning my first vacay there last year when I found out I was pregnant. Somehow heading to Chicago for Lollapalooza and then onto NYC didn’t seem right with a bun in the oven, so I postponed it.
Most of my friends have visited NYC multiple times and I have lived through their accounts and a bestie is also a native – I still laugh when I first met her and I asked her if she was American and she said no, she was a New Yorker.
New York City is the one place I know exactly what I would do when I arrive and I’m afraid to say, the majority of it revolves around food. Shall I indulge you with my virtual foodie tour?
- Pure Food & Wine - would be my FIRST stop of the Raw Vegan restaurant variety and no doubt one of many. The baby of the raw goddess Sarma Melngailis (co author with her then partner Matthew Kenney of Raw Food Real World), I’ve heard bookings are a must, so I would most likely book prior to leaving home just so I could wrap my tastebuds around their famous lasagna, mallomars, sake cocktails and extensive wine list.
- Quintessence – gourmet raw vegan cuisine
- Blossom - vegan cuisine restaurant
- Rockin’ Raw – raw living cuisine with a Peruvian/New Orleanean/Creolean flavour. Real soul food
- Bonobos – vegetarian and raw cafe
- Caravan of Dreams – organic vegan cuisine with raw options
- Babycakes - gluten free & vegan bakery selling the most amazing looking cupcakes and cinnamon buns
- Sacred Chow - organic vegan cuisine
- Candle 79 – NYC’s premier vegan destination
- Hangawi - vegetarian Korean restaurant
- Stogo - organic dairy free icecream
- Sullivan Street Bakery – vegan pizzas and breads
- Liquiteria juice bar – organic Norwalk pressed to go juices
- Angelica Kitchen - organic plant based cuisine
So tell me, where is your favourite place in the world to go for food – either visited or dreaming about? I must admit, when I lived in Mexico, the food was amazing, but I wasn’t surrounded by the food we’ve come to know as Mexican, ie no nachos or burritos. I also love Thai, Italian and Indian.
Also, indulge me, have you been to New York or any of the above restaurants? I’d love your take on the city!Share on Facebook